Monday, October 02, 2006

 

The Winner ... er, Loser?

When I began this site, last July, I really didn't think it was possible that someone could outdo the Kansas City Royals in suckiness. I thought the Pirates had a shot, and as August dragged into September, and I witness the Pirates and the Cubs play each other, then I thought, hey, any of these teams could do it.

But alas, I was wrong. There is only one team who could possibly be outplayed by the Royals. That team is the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. With 101 losses and barely hitting the 60-win threshold with 61 wins, Tampa Bay wins The Race to the Bottom. Congratulations on such a fine achievement!

The Royals gave them a run for it, losing 100 games. This is their fourth season losing 100 games or more. But you weren't the worst team in baseball. And hey—Detroit nearly busted the Mets' record a few years back and look where they are? Getting swept by you and still making it into the playoffs. Keep the faith!

The Pirates managed to outplay the Cubs, finishing 67-95 to the Cubs' 66-96. Neither team lost 100 games, so I suppose that's some sort of achievement.

When I first started this blog, I made some predictions as to how the main three teams would do, not even factoring in a perennial crap machine like the Devil Rays. Let's see how I fared.

Kansas City Royals



What I Thought in July: I predicted they'd lose 100-102 games, which they did; I also predicted that they'd have a better a record than Pittsburgh. As we like to say in Chicago, there's always next year.

How about Next Year? I do think they'll do better. Historically, things aren't in their favor, but they've played much better than anyone expected in the second half and their trade-deadline fire sale got them some much-needed new blood. The new manager seems to have a vision; I hope that vision includes winning more than 62 games.

Pittsburgh Pirates


What I Thought in July: I thought they'd end up the worst out of all these teams, and they finished fourth-to-last, ahead of the Cubs, the Royals, and the Devil Rays. To which I say: Well played, Pittsburgh Pirates, well played.

How about Next Year? After a very rough July, the Pirates turned it around (well, as much as a 66-96 team can turn a season around). They got rid of some dead weight at the trade deadline and seem to be headed in a better direction. They'll still probably be in the bottom of the NL Central.

Chicago Cubs


What I Thought in July: Oh holy hell did I get this one wrong. Despite their record, I think the Cubs might actually be the worst team in this bunch. They couldn't capitilize on anything, and losing Zambrano for awhile didn't help either. This was the season to test the Wrigley faithful.

How about Next Year? Both Andy McPhail and Dusty Baker are g-o-n-e, GONE! So that's the good news. The bad? The interim president is the Tribune's marketing director; it appears that craptastic Jim Hendry is here to stay. You win some, you lose some. That's the Cubbie way.

See you in February for spring training! In the meantime, go Packers!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?